The patio is a type of space where several types of human activities are possible. And all kinds of landscape design is always related to high or low human activity. In principle, patios can be divided into two main types.
1) A space covered by other independent buildings and has a common access through the patio. One of the most common examples is a university building or a university campus.
2) A room located in a single building, and you can reach different rooms through the courtyard. One of the most common examples for this type is the design of a house with a courtyard in the center or a hospital building.
The criteria for landscape design are very different for both types because the nature of human activities differs. There are many more factors that determine the designs of the patio landscape. Some of them are
1) Patio size or volume (measured in length, width and height)
2) If it is open to the air or not
3) The amount of sunlight you receive.
4) It has cross ventilation.
In the courtyard of a university campus, it is necessary to provide enough space for students to sit down informally and to travel from one building to another. In such cases, a good design solution is the corridors that consciously lead visitors to different departmental buildings.
In the case of a courtyard closed on all sides, as in a residential building, it is necessary to think carefully about the selection of plant species before they begin. In such cases, the amount of sunlight entering the yard will be limited. The proper design of landscape drainage is also a necessity due to the lack of sunlight.
However, if the activities in a patio are centered in the interior of the patio, the periphery of the patio should be used as a landscaped plot. For example, due to the lack of space, the patio may be used and dinner may be served, after which all human activity is directed to the center of the courtyard. In such situations, the boundaries of soft landscapes, such as flower beds, can be used with occasional breaks in other rooms on the edge.